Monday, January 13, 2014

He's from France, his design style is awesome and he's teaching at the World Balloon Convention...it is my pleasure to introduce Monsieur Jose Luthman!

Jose Luthman CBA
Design Created
By Jose Luthman CBA
Many of you will already know Jose (pronounced Jo-ze), especially balloon artists from around  Europe as he has been an instructor in France, for a number of years, teaching at a variety of different balloon events including ABC (Sunny Twist) and Qualatex Events around France, at the Qualatex Event in Oxford in 2012 and at BACI last year! I am sure that you will have seen a selection of his work in Balloon Images Magazine or posted in the Qualatex Facebook Group?

Stylish, elegant and creative are probably the best words that I can find to describe Jose's balloon 'art', maybe it is true that the French really do have that 'chic' edge when it comes to design?



This will be Jose's first time teaching at the World Balloon Convention (WBC) so I took this opportunity to ask Jose a few questions about his forthcoming experience!





Jose Luthman CBA
Jose at work in his Ballonrama Store
Yes, it’s my first WBC! WBC is about knowledge transmission and new challenges. Teaching is a lot of work, and a lot of responsibility. You have to prepare and make sure the designs will be sellable and that the students will learn techniques to succeed. It allows me to outdo myself; I am always creating and wondering if the design can be useful for a class. I try new things, I listen to my customers, I check the sales… then I find a method to teach. It is so great! I’m proud to be a part of the evolution of balloon work.

Jose Luthman CBA
Design Created
By Jose Luthman CBA
What can WBC delegates expect to gain by attending your classes? 
I will have two classes at WBC. The first one is about merchandising and selling—I will teach sales techniques and small, easy, and highly sellable designs. The second one is about very modern and original themed decor. If you follow my work on Facebook, this is what it will look like – simple and efficient.


Jose Luthman CBA
Design Created
By Jose Luthman CBA
What does teaching at the World Balloon Convention mean to you?
I don’t really think about what I expect, I think about what I can bring to WBC. I’m caught between feeling fearful and being proud. I’m afraid I won’t rise up to the expectations – but this is the best way to do my best. And I’m proud to have been chosen, to represent France and Europe at the largest balloon convention worldwide.











Jose Luthman CBA
Design Created
By Jose Luthman CBA


So let find out a little more about Jose and how balloons became part of his life!

Before working with balloons I sculpted stone and painted. I was a carpenter by trade. At that time I didn’t know I could express my feelings with my craft. I discovered balloons when I opened my party store. I learned the basics and quickly took my CBA exam. I found in balloon the sensations I had sculpting stone, once again I could bring to life something that creates emotion.
Jose Luthman CBA
Design Created
By Jose Luthman CBA

How popular are balloons in France, have you seen  n any changes since you  started with customers expectations?
My store is 10 years old. At the beginning balloons were considered a cheap, low-cost product. I decided to sell Qualatex balloons because of the quality, and I used the classes I took to bring more added value to my work. Many years later my customers have changed. Before I had to persuade them, now I decide and give the main ideas to be followed for the entire decor.


You have to be patient and work for the long term.
And, you just have to follow the model of other successful people. I have personally been very influenced by Luc Bertrand. He guided me on the path, and then I found my own way. My website Ballonrama brought a huge change. Today I sell balloons everyday, for every occasion.

Jose Luthman CBA
Design Created
By Jose Luthman CBA

How would you describe your design style, what do you like to make?
I like clean and simple decor. I love Microfoils and Bubbles, but really all balloons are fantastic for me. My clients find my work modern, this is my reputation, and I always try to surprise. My work is bringing emotion, and each balloon will convey and emotion – you just need to choose the right balloon for the right decor.

Jose Luthman CBA
Design Created
By Jose Luthman CBA

What is your favorite balloon job to date? 

My favorite job is the Mulhouse Mayor wishes. I worked on scenography and I coordinated the landscape and technical teams. Working on the different levels of an event is really what I love most.

What is your favorite design that you have created? 

I have several designs I really like. The Zebulon composition is the one I am the most proud of, it is easy to make and easy to sell.



Jose Luthman CBA
Design Created
By Jose Luthman CBA
What is your favorite Qualatex balloon?
I don’t have a favorite balloon, I love them all, I go from one to another and I use a lot of Microfoils and Bubbles – they fit my style really well.


How do you work with your customers? Do you have a special process?
I work on paper first, I draw my designs. In order to understand what my client wants I ask a lot of questions—beyond the questions we learn to ask as CBAs—I try to know their personality. It’s important for me to let them know I feel concerned and accountable for the success of their event. I step back and put myself in the guests’ shoes, walking into the room and imagining what I would like to see—the entrance, the buffet, ect… Decor is what people will see first when they come in. I’m a decorator, what I do is set the stage.

Jose Luthman CBA
Design Created
By Jose Luthman CBA

As a business owner you have been successful and innovative, starting a balloon delivery website, Ballonrama. How did you have the idea and how did you make it happen?
I wanted this Web site for a long time. The work of Qualatex and the RPC program (re-named Retail Essentails Program) has helped me decide to do it. I wanted a media to showcase beautiful balloon compositions and above all give a price to my customers. 

Ten years ago in France, people didn’t want to spend money for balloons. Today with Ballonrama they can see designs and know how much it costs – it saves us a lot of time. I don’t need to show them the balloons and explain what the bouquet will look like. The customer comes in with an idea, we sit in front of the computer, and we adapt the design to their theme.

A year ago a woman came in and said ‘I’m sorry I’m looking for Ballonrama store’. I realized the image of my store and my Web site didn’t match anymore and I redesigned the store. Now it is organized around ballonrama and our portfolio. Our sales went up 30%.

Thank you so much Jose for such a great interview, I am so excited that you will be teaching at WBC, your designs are truly awesome and everyone will learn so much from attending your classes including a little bit of your wonderfully unique 'French style'!

The World Balloon Convention has so much to offer those who are attending, with some great new instructors adding to the already amazing line-up of instructors, all sharing their skills, passion and creativity, plus the opportunity to see 1st hand the incredible competition entries and of course the awesome parties with so many hands-on opportunities working with some of the best balloon artists that the world has to offer, WBC 2014 is going to be truly AMAZING... I hope that you are coming!



Happy Ballooning!

Sue
www.suebowler.com

No comments: